WE'RE WATCHING OUT FOR EVERYONE
Healthy and vibrant businesses are part of the fabric of any great community. In regular meetings with MLAs, MPs and Ministers, the Chamber has strived to work with and lobby government to provide a strong and constructive influence on public policy on a variety of issues that support our members and a healthy free enterprise system. Below you'll see a number of the initiatives we are championing including Our Vibrant Communities drive from both a municipal and provincial viewpoint:
- Small Business Tax Rates and Thresholds - The provincial and federal governments have reduced small business tax rates and increased the threshold for small businesses. The Chamber continues to advocate for further promised reductions.
- Reduction of Property Tax Ratios for Business – The province is moving forward with a review of major industrial property taxes.
- EI Premium Tax Credits – The Federal government has introduced a tax credit for small businesses that will reduce their EI premiums when hiring new workers.
- Sustainable Municipal Infrastructure - The Chamber’s nationally endorsed call for legislation to protect the federal gas tax infrastructure fund was recently introduced in the House of Commons. This will mean predictable and long-term funding for infrastructure that supports the region’s sustainability and economic prosperity.
- Approved Destination Status with China - This agreement allows leisure travellers to vacation in Canada. China represents the largest market for increased travellers, with 100 million Chinese residents expected to travel abroad by 2020. In addition, the federal government is making improvements to the Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive Program (FCTIP).
- Protection of Retirement Savings - The BC Government enacted legislation that protects small business owner’s retirement savings in self-directed RRSPs, RRIFs, and DPSPs from creditor seizure.
- Municipal Auditor General - The provincial government is establishing a Municipal Auditor General that will ensure that taxpayers’ interests are placed at the forefront of the decision making process and will help ensure efficiency in local government budgeting.
- Provincial and Federal Red Tape Reductions – The provincial and federal governments have undertaken to review and reduce the regulatory burden faced by our members.
- Our Vibrant Community Campaign– Decisions made at the municipal level have a powerful impact on our day to day lives. As part of the “Our Vibrant Community” campaign we have developed a set of good governance pillars to ensure that we; keep tax increases and spending within our means, build our quality of life and save for the future, actively communicate municipal business in a clear and understandable fashion, and work individually and with regional stakeholders to deliver services in the most efficient and effective way.